CGPA COMPETITION PALAVA: MY EXPERIENCE

A few years ago, our 100 level departmental results had just been released and I was one of the two individuals with eye-popping CGPA above 4.0.  The news was all over the department. Instantly, the easy going and reserved me had numerous friends and foes to deal with.

Among the friends this tsunami of success brought, was a Guy I'll call James. His CGPA hovered around 2.0 or thereabouts.The friendship greatly benefited him as I taught him, did course assignments for him, and rendered other help. In subsequent semesters his CGPA picked up rapidly.

This meant I also had to buckle up or else I risked being overtaken (being at the top has several pecks). By 300 level second semester, my guy had a GPA of 4.0! However, I realized James began to hide vital course materials and past questions he owned from me. Probably, he was envious of how course mates revered me. That healthy competitiveness was now turning to something else.

He was an asset(the guy get long leg for the school). This meant any thought of severing ties was out of the picture. Once I confronted him and he gave a flimsy excuse of which I can't remember now. However it continued.

I had to seek other sources, doubled up on my work and also feigned lack of enthusiasm towards book work while with him just to give a wrong perception, which left him puzzled every semester as I surpassed expectations.

At 400 level we were assigned same supervisor and the competition got fiercer. Before I could submit a research topic proposal, my guy don start chapter 1 with ready made material(copy and paste project material with reference inclusive).

I didn't want to tow that route of copy and paste. I desired something original which meant more time, resources, research, and other activities. I had to explore journals, textbooks, and other web links. It was tiring but worth it. I gained tremendous knowledge on project writing despite being taunted by James due to delays in submitting my preliminary pages.

My guy submitted his chapter 2 and the supervisor changed the scope, research questions and modified his topic. Kasala burst!
No long story, you know why. I had a premonition such would happen, considering the antecedents of the supervisor and so I waited patiently.

As fate would have it, James ran back to me for help walking through the bridge of our friendship he'd almost dismantled.
Pay back time? Talk of your 'enemy' being served on a silver platter!
I could have chosen to turn down his request.
I could also have accepted to help, messed up his work and left him frustrated.

But I did none of those. Being humbled is enough punishment. There really was no need for vengeance. However, I did school him like a two year old just to show how Ignorant he was.
Just so you know, I ended up walking him through all five chapters! Talk about someone with a good heart.
End of story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO CALCULATE CGPA AND GPA IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES

WRITING THAT EYE-POPPING CGPA

GETTING THE BEST FROM YOUR LECTURES